Monday, June 3, 2013

About hummingbirds and cupcakes

Do you like cupcakes and other desserts? If yes, here is an inside tip for you - Hummingbird Bakery in London. On my birthday on March 21st I received “The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook” from my roommate and am a fan of them since then.
Hummingbird Bakery was founded by Tarek Malouf in 2004. He loves American-style baking but could not find a place in London to enjoy the food. So he decided to found a company where you can buy cupcakes and muffins as well as brownies and cakes. His courage paid off because Hummingbird sells more than 20,000 cupcakes per week in their five bakeries. The first one opened on Portobello Road in Notting Hill – a very exclusive area. Doesn’t it look awesome and trendy?


Why is Hummingbirds so exceptional for me? The main reason I like it more than my other cookbooks are the recipes. They all sound great, there is an appetizing picture for each recipe plus there are many innovative and exciting flavors inside the book. I have never heard of “Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes”, “Jam Doughnut Cupcakes” or “Tiramisu Cupcakes” before. I tried the “Tiramisu Cupcakes” for my mum’s birthday and she really liked them. It was a bit tricky because you have to hollow out the cupcakes, sprinkle coffee on them and then fill the hole with


mascarpone cream. It took me one hour but it was worth the effort. I am not sure whether it is allowed to post one of their recipes, but let’s risk it :).
Unfortunately I could not find the “Tiramisu Cupcake” recipe on the internet (and my cookbook is at home in Lower Austria) but I found a recipe for “Vanilla Muffins”. I have tried them and modified the recipe a bit so that it is easier for you to understand and to follow.
  • 120g plain flour
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • A pinch of salt
  • 40g butter, at room temperature
  • 120ml whole milk
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 170°C
Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl. Use a hand mixer and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is incorporated.
Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until it is incorporated. Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth.
Spoon the mixture into the muffin tray until two-thirds full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes or until the muffins are light golden and the sponge bounces back when touched.
 Leave the muffins to cool slightly in the tray before turning them out to cool completely.

Another fact I really like is that the cookbook clearly tells you not to change anything. It is really important to stick to the recipe in order to get delicious and beautiful cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment